Whoever makes the request does not have to live with the feeling of having given away money.
The prospect of receiving BAföG benefits is greater than you think, especially in view of the increase in demand rates resulting from the 26th Law amending the Federal Training Assistance Act (Gesetz zur Änderung des Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz, BAföGÄndG).
Yes. BAföG services are only granted upon application.
As early as possible.
As a matter of principle, educational support is provided from the beginning of the month in which the training is actually commenced, but at the earliest from the beginning of the application month. The postmark of the Office for Education and Training Assistance is decisive.
Second application and further applications:
Please note that an application for further support must be submitted two months before the end of the last/running approval period. This means that, after the last notice of granting has been issued, educational support can, subject to reclaiming, continue to be paid until the notice on the new application is issued, and there are no unpleasant interruptions in payment (deadline for summer semesters: 31 January | deadline for winter semesters: 31 July).
Applications that are submitted after the deadlines or that are incomplete may be subject to payment interruptions!
ATTENTION: The increase in BAföG benefits for the winter semester 2019/20 is taken into account with the new notice.
No. You need to reapply every year, as each appropriation period lasts for two semesters. For further support you need to hand in a new application.
The application needs to be handed in at the responsible BAföG office, which is usually either the student union at your university (https://www.studentenwerke.de/en/content/here-you-will-find-your-studentenwerk) or the communal BAföG office at your place of residence.
Benefits according to the Federal Training Assistance Act (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz, BAföG) require a written application (application forms).
If due to the stress of your first year of study you are unable to complete an application form, it is sufficient to send a simple letter to the Office for Education and Training Assistance stating that you are seeking support (informal application, for observance of deadlines). Then, you must, however, submit the completed (official) forms and documents without delay. Forms are mandatory.
Online application/upload portal/eID
Since the winter semester 2009/2010, students of the universities supervised by the Studentenwerk Niederbayern/Oberpfalz also have the possibility to apply online.
For this purpose, just have a look at: www.bafög-bayern.de
- The effective date of the application depends on how you submit it:
If you print out the application, sign it personally and send it by post, the date of receipt at the BAföG office determines the date of application.
- It is quicker if you submit the application as a photo or scan via the upload portal on the specified website. For this purpose, you must, however, print it out and sign it beforehand. The day of the upload is then the day of the receipt.
- eID is completely paperless. If you have a new identity card and a suitable card reader, you can submit your application directly online. It is then deemed to have been received immediately.
You will find further information here: Flyer B@föG-online (pdf-format).
In detail, the forms are the following:
- Form 1: Application for educational support and declaration of the applicant's income/assets/debt
- Annex 1 to the form 1: Educational and professional background of the applicant (only required for the first application)
- Annex 2 to the form 1: Supplementary sheet for childcare supplement (section 14b Federal Training Assistance Act)
- Form 2: Certificate of enrolment (this can be replaced by presenting the proof of enrolment automatically generated by the university (according to section 9 Federal Training Assistance Act).)
- Form 3: Income declaration of the spouse, the father, the mother
- Form 4: Supplementary sheet for foreigners (i.e. foreign applicants)
- Form 5: Certificate according to section 48 Federal Training Assistance Act – certificate of achievement (required for support from the 5th semester onwards; the applicant is responsible for the submission; it is filled in by the respective university)
- Form 6: Application for educational support for training abroad
- Form 7: Apprentice's request for updating according to section 24 paragraph 3 Federal Training Assistance Act (required if the income of the spouse or of one or both parents during the approval period is significantly lower than the income in the penultimate calendar year prior to the start of the approval period)
- Form 8: Application for advance payment according to section 36 Federal Training Assistance Act (required if the parents do not pay the maintenance contribution determined in the notice concerning BAföG benefits or refuse to provide the information required for determining the entitlement to BAföG benefits and the training is endangered as a result)
All information must be supported by documentary evidence, in particular the applicant's income and financial circumstances, the spouse's and/or parents' income circumstances (statements of earnings, income tax assessments, pension approval certificates, notice on unemployment benefits, proof of profits from self-employed activities, bank certificates of assets, etc.). You must present the certificate of enrolment and proof of rental costs if you no longer live with your parents. If necessary, health and nursing insurance contributions must also be proven.